For those of you, who have’nt experienced it during your pregnancy or even previously in your lifetime... its a surprise to have it after birthing. But anytime, constipation is a painful and distressing condition that makes motherhood miserable when the mom herself is trying to recover from the exhaustion of labor. The post partum is a crucial period in a women’s life that requires supreme attention towards the mother’s health. A successful post partum implies absolute recovery and rejuvenation after child birth, supported by healthy digestion, elimination and feeling happy and joyful about motherhood.
Constipation when overlooked causes tremendous trauma and discomfort both physical and emotional. Constipation is much more than a slow bowel movement, It’s rather a sign of blockage of channels and imbalance of Vata (Air) element in the body, which gets deranged during and after the process of birthing. It signifies the aggravation of Vata in the lower intestines causing unsatisfactory, difficult, and at times dry, hard pellet like stools. Vata also regulates your body’s Nervous system, thus an imbalance causes dryness, fatigue, emotional upheaval and trauma, which at times may even lead to severe depression.
A stagnant bowel also causes a series of issues like, Bloating, burping, loss of appetite, Low back pain, pain and discomfort in the lower abdomen, Piles and Painful Haemorrhoids. Well! If you still think that these are all minor issues that can be treated easily then it’s time for you to be aware that a majority (85%- 90%) cases of lifetime Migraine, Bleeding Haemorrhoids and Anal fissure in women are triggered by constipation during post partum.
Causes of Post Partal Constipation
Constipation usually results from a combination of different factors which traumatize the Digestive and Nervous system.
- Harmonal imbalances
- Lack of fluids in the body due to loss of blood
- Lack of tonicity of the pelvic floor muscles caused by injury due to birthing
- Decreased digestive power and reduced intake
- Supplementation of Iron
- Long and tiresome labour
- Unhealed perineum and vagina
- C- section
Constipation often goes hand in hand with Haemorrhoids triggered by vaginal delivery. Haemorrhoids can make the condition worse when they bleed while straining to pass the stools.
There have been many reliefs suggested and opinions sought to clear a distressing hard stool in a mother after she undergoes a tiresome delivery. Yet! The best is always prevention, rather than cure. After birthing, you feel very well supported by your family, friends and relatives, above all birthing brings a special bonding between you and your Mom. Adopting every preliminary natural measure that has its roots in your Mom’s traditional advisory is of utmost importance in preventing the ill effects of Vata from tasking motherhood. If you don’t find your way to treat your constipation, then you are likely to develop a chronic issue that is yet harder to resolve.
Naturopathic and Ayurvedic Medicine together embrace a comprehensive practice using ancient knowledge and skills to rejuvenate and recover the mother. It is a way of conscious living with a feeling that you are connected with the environment. Nature cure suggests, a plenty of effortless methods that can be adopted in home post birthing to prevent and avoid constipation.
The 10 essential steps to overcome troublesome bowel
- Step 1: Drink Luke warm water the first thing in the morning and throughout the day to keep you hydrated.
- Step 2: You can sip warm herbal teas like Ginger tea once or twice a day that promote bowel movements.
- Step 3: A short walk for 30 mins everyday can help keep your bowels moving by activating your sluggish system
- Step 4: Supplement natural probiotics in the form of buttermilk which help the gut heal.
- Step 5: Use Natural laxatives like Psyllium husk, Raisins, figs and Gulkand
- Step 6: Eat foods that are warm, soupy, soft and freshly prepared added with cow’s ghee or any good fats like coconut oil.
- Step 7: Massage the body regularly with medicated oils . A cold – pressed sesame oil slightly warmed can give great results.
- Step 8: Eat a lot of fibre rich foods like whole grains, greens, fresh fruits and fruit juices.
- Step 9: Avoid spicy and processed foods, raw foods and salads, Meat and excess of coffee and tea
- Step 10: Avoid being in Air conditioned rooms and exposing yourself to cold weather and wind.
For How long does a Post partal constipation last?
A post partal constipation following a vaginal delivery or c- section usually resolves in a week’s times when properly attended. Severe cases may extend up to 1-2 weeks and when even longer it might need immediate medical assistance.
Can you adopt complementary therapies to overcome constipation?
There are a number of therapies you can try to overcome your constipation naturally. If you like to try any complementary therapies, contact your Nature cure practitioner today. Based on your constitution the doctor may prescribe suitable therapies, Time tested Herbal remedies and dietary modifications that can help ease your constipation and support early recovery.
When to contact your Doctor
- When the bowels become too hard, pellet like and painful.
- Presence of blood or mucus in your stools with burning sensation and incomplete evacuation.
- Pain in the perineum, bulging in the vagina.
- Indigestion, feeling of bloating, absence of hunger and heaviness in the breast.
- When there is absence of bowel movement for more than two consecutive days.