Childbirth is one of the most beautiful experiences a woman can look for in her lifetime. But the postpartum period for women can be stressful comprising of distressing challenges tasking her physical and mental stability. Its Normal to have the Baby blues during the post partal period but still skincare and Body care after pregnancy should not be ignored.
The period of confinement comprises of various measures that are traditionally adopted to rejuvenate and restore the body’s Doshic imbalances. This typically consists of righteous procedures aimed at deriving physical, physiological and psychological benefits for the mother. The primary protocol adopted during the period of confinement which is around 45- 60 days plays a major role in the physical restructuring of the body in the later part of the motherhood.
The primary management during the period of confinement basically focus on Muscle and Dhatu nourishment and growth and reduction of vata which aggravates after delivery. Hence the “ sutika kala” as termed in Nature cure recommends the following procedures that can help to revive the mother and make motherhood an enjoyable experience.
- Abhyanga / Oleation : Done with medicated oils everyday improve the repair and recovery of the Muscles and tissues. It also improves the immunity and enhances the appetite by pacifying the effects of vata.
- Snana: Bathing with herbs that promote deep nourishment to the tissues and nuture the fluids in the body and thus restore the prana in them. A snana done with herbs acts as astringent, antibacterial and antiseptic.
- Ubtan for snana : The procedure of Snana/ bathingis done using Herbal ubtan / bathing powder exclusively prepared for post partal mother with key ingredients such as Green gram, Chickpea, Turmeric, Chandan etc.. and a wide variety of complexion enhancing herbs. The ubtan is an effective remedy to combat post partal Acne.
- Hot sitz Bath : The herbal immersion bath is an adaptive measure for early recovery of the inflamed vaginal and uterine tissues. It relieves the stiffness in the joints and the muscles by allievating the vata in the Hip, Pelvis, perineum and Lumbosacral region, thereby promoting deep relaxation and toning of the lower abdominal muscles.
- Abdominal Binding : When the baby comes out there is a void in the abdomen, and that is the space vulnerable to vata. A proper abdominal binding for 7 weeks after delivery can greatly reform the tone of the abdominal muscles.
- Breast Binding: The breasts are soft tissues made of fat and vesicles. Binding the breast is a task that has to be accomplished carefully which can greatly prevent sagging in the future. A breast binding with a cotton cloth sufficient enough to hold the breasts in place are always a preferable method rather than opting for a brassiere.
- Abdominal massage: Massaging is an effective procedure to tone up the saggy abdominal muscles. It helps in the evacuation of bowel gases and enables early uterine contraction and thus ensures stagnation of vata in the uterus.
- Vaginal Fumigation: With time tested traditional herbs, prevents infection, and ensures pain relief rejuvenation and tightening of the perineal muscles. This helps in the early and complete recovery of the vagina after a delivery.
- Right diet choices: This very well refers to those foods that combat vata and restore the agni in the mother. Foods must be those that can be easily digested. Dietary guidelines are strict for the mother during the period of confinement as according to Nature cure this directly influences the quality of milk and the health of the baby.
- Getting Enough Sleep: A mother can always take her time to bed during the day, if she feels her sleep is insufficient and disturbed in the night because of baby. A good sleep promotes emotional stability and helps to overcome post partal depression and Mood swings.
- Skin Care routine: The daily skin care routine is a must as it was even before pregnancy . It must be ensured that none of them are overlooked just because one has become a mother. Maintaining the tone and Ph of the shrinking skin is crucial in case of recovering mothers.